Could anti-aging treatments improve more than your looks?
Anti-aging treatments such as fillers and laser resurfacing could improve more than just appearance. Studies have found that patients who have had cosmetic procedures to reduce the signs of aging have also seen a boost in their self-esteem.
Many experts agree that a positive change in outward appearance can affect how a patient views himself. Laser resurfacing is commonly used to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and discoloration on the face. Patients who undergo these treatments with realistic expectations often feel better about their appearance and themselves once results become visible.
In-person interviews conducted between 2002 and 2007 with patients who had undergone facial rejuvenation procedures found 96.7 percent reported a more youthful appearance, and 82.8 percent reported an increase in self-esteem.
Advances in medical technology offer patients safer, less invasive options for anti-aging treatments. Laser treatments and wrinkle-relaxing injectable are minimally invasive with little to no downtime and minor risk of side effects.
Advantages of today’s anti-aging treatment options include:
- Minimally or non-invasive options for additional patient comfort and little to no downtime.
- Decreased risk of side effects in most patients.
- Almost immediate visible results, lasting from six months to two years with optimal treatment.
- Maximum physician control on temperature, size of treatment area and depth of laser treatments.
- Combination anti-aging treatments can help achieve a patient’s desired results on all areas of the body.
Consulting with a board-certified dermatologist before treatment is the best way for patients to increase their chances of overall satisfaction from anti-aging treatments. Age, severity of the condition and intensity of the treatment type all affect the results a patient can expect from treatment, and having realistic expectations of the treatment outcome contributes to overall patient satisfaction.